FORT FREDERICA - When General James Oglethorpe laid claim to the Georgia territory for England, it was important to build settlements and establish defenses. He found the ideal site for both along the river banks on the western edge of St. Simons Island. He named it Frederica. In 1736, three years after the founding of Savannah, 44 men and 72 women and children arrived to build the fort and town, and by the 1740s,Frederica was a thriving village of about 500 citizens. When Spanish troops sought to capture St. Simons in 1742, Oglethorpe's men won a decisive victory in what is now called,"The Battle of Bloody Marsh." For a time, Frederica prospered and grew. However, the declining military threat to the Georgia coast saw the Fort's regiment disbanded in 1749. Today, you can visit the site of Fort Frederica, a national park, and see the ruins of the fortifications, barracks and homes. A museum, film, dioramas, tours and demonstrations bring the settlement vividly back to life.
Chapter Revolutionary Ancestors
Fort Frederica Chapter
NSDAR Approved site: February, 2001